Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby's quilt


I've been working on a baby quilt for months. I think I chose the most time consuming idea possible :). Finally, nearly every animal is finished - just some details of several have to be done. I'm glad the animals are interspersed with plain blocks. They are much quicker! The idea is that the quilt represents South Africa and Australia, like our family! There is a koala, lion, emu, hippo, leopard, kangaroo (and joey), etc. all mixed up together! We hope that our child will identify with and pray for both the country where he/she was conceived (South Africa) and the country where he/she will be born - Australia! This is by no means the final block arrangement, just one layout idea. The only definite colour patterning is the emerald green.

Oh, and our bed is not even properly made in this picture - just so my online friends realise I'm not a perfect housekeeper :).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sherrin ~ how very creative! Was this your own idea to incorporate the animals from each country in your baby quilt? I think it makes for a one-of-a-kind treasure. I know it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous heirloom!! Absolutely fantastic idea with the animals representing both your countries...just impressive! Bless you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deb - I love your new profile pic! Yes, it was my own idea. I then had to come up with a plan for how I would do the animals. I borrowed a book on foundation piecing from the library and got my animal patterns from that. I am very encouraged that you like the idea :).

    Hello Faith - I feel blessed today by your comment, and am glad you like my idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this quilt. My wife is the most talented woman I know!! I can't wait to wrap baby, snug as a bug, in this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete