Friday, March 27, 2009

My pregnancy so far

I have reached that point in pregnancy where it has begun to dawn on us that very soon we will need to care for a newborn! Nappy websites have suddenly taken on a fascination (which combination, exactly, should I purchase for night wear I wonder . . . ?).  I have even been known to dream about cloth nappies (or maybe those were nightmares).

At 34 weeks of pregnancy, the goals that seemed so achievable when I made them in January have a much closer deadline! The fact that Mum gave birth to her first child 3 weeks early is a reminder that it really could happen any time. The freezer is already full of food (more than 20 meals), and thankfully the quilt top is sewn together now . . . 


. . . and I remind myself that baby will just want to be fed and cuddled, and really won't care whether Mummy's scrapbooks are up-to-date or there is a framed ABC cross stitch on the wall!

Thankfully my goals have been fairly simple. I am aiming for three things in this season of life:
  • simplify 
  • prioritise
  • choose the best
I have set out basic things that I should aim for in late pregnancy and after birth:
  • simple meals
  • rest and self care
  • laundry, dishes, toilet cleaning
  • prayer
  • remembering God's word
  • time with Dave
I've also written down a whole lot of the things that can completely drop off my list if need be, including:
  • Dusting
  • Tidying
  • Blogging
  • Sweeping and mopping
  • Craft
  • Organising
  • Reading anything more than the Bible
Hopefully having these things written down will help me focus on what is most important on hard days. 

I feel exceptionally blessed in my pregnancy so far, despite the fact that the mishaps just keep happening! My chronic back pain has not grown worse, and overall I have felt healthy and happy. These are amazing blessings, considering my physical limitations.

Speaking of mishaps . . . 

Pregnancy brain is a real phenomenon. Honestly. Have you ever left your wallet at home and not realised until some of your groceries had been scanned? Remedies . . . 
  • Just accept it!
Lady, remember you have a TUMMY! It took me a long time to register that I could no longer fit through the same spaces as before. On one visit to the hospital I rammed someone with my tummy and said "I'm sorry, I keep forgetting I have a tummy!" Remedies . . . 
  • Try to move more slowly
Baby will play up at the worst times . . . I am not sure if I can really blame the baby, but when I was a bridesmaid recently I did suspect him/her of being very naughty. I got such a severe cramp at the hairdresser's that I ended up crawling around her bathroom floor rubbing my side, in an effort to ease the pain. I was in there quite a while, and then had to lie on the couch. Meanwhile, baby was kick, kick, kicking right where the worst pain was and had changed position a lot since that morning. Thankfully I recovered in time for the ceremony. Possible remedies . . . 
  • Laugh, laugh, and laugh some more. Really, what could be funnier than crawling around the floor in agony when you're meant to be painting the bride's nails?
  • Keep in mind that accepting any major responsibilities while pregnant could be hazardous!
Truly, I do find these things funny and it all adds to the adventure that is being pregnant for the first time. Next time my blogging month is here, I may no longer be pregnant! I am reminded to enjoy this unique stage of life that lasts such a short time. Baby is not due until May 6, but we are hoping to see him/her a little early. Please join with us in praying for a healthy and natural birth.

7 comments:

  1. This is great. I'm so glad that you're "letting yourself off the hook," so to speak, about chores and things. I've seen so many of my pregnant friends just work themselves into a frazzle trying to have things just so when, really, nobody cares if the vacuuming hasn't been done in a few weeks.

    I'm praying for you as your due date nears, Sherrin. God's richest blessings on your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have retired from vacuuming for a while . . . I figure that with my back pain its amazing I've been doing it so long, and it has become decidedly difficult to squat down, squeeze into corners, etc (the tummy issue, you know)!

    Thanks so much for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4th of May is a good day to be born. My twin and I thought so much of it as to have a baby brother born on it too! ~smile. I am so looking forward to hearing your birth announcment and am praying for a quick and safe delivery for you both.

    Love and blessings to you and Dave,
    Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Glenys! We are very grateful for prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! am praying for you. can't wait to find out if you have a boy or girl. Do you have names chosen yet? how exciting.
    ENJOY EVERY MINUTE. sounds like you have your priorities all set! housework can wait and anyways, that's what hubbies are for...they learn to help out, trust me! and just enjoy holding, nursing (if you choose that) and rocking....the time flies by the first year...God be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Faith!

    We do have names picked out, and have done for some months, but who knows . . . there may be a last minute change! We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherrin

    All the best with the birth etc.

    I think you will be a great mum.

    God Bless

    Amber

    ReplyDelete