- clean each room once a week
- praise God in song through learning hymns
- clean windows
- make cusions
- create web pages (learn html)
- recognise the capital cities and key political leaders of each country in the world
- bottle food
- and much more!
I'd like to read about . . .
- biblical communication
- South African history
- environmental issues, especially individual and household consuption rates
- and much more!
I don't expect to achieve every one of my goals, but I am aware that having them written down and clear makes it much more likely that they will happen. Amongst all these goals, it is necessary to prioritise. I've decided that my most important goal is to learn to praise God in song as I go about my daily tasks. The Bible is full of examples of people who prioritised praise, and of exhortations to praise God. Yet I do not even know many songs of praise, let alone make a habit of singing them. Western Christians can learn much from African Christians in this regard. Many Christians in Africa commonly sing joyously as they go about their work. I want to ensure that I create an atmosphere of praise in our home. Learning to sing myself is also an important step toward teaching any children God gives us to praise Him.
To help me towards this goal, I've taken a few steps.
1. I wrote out a list 29 of hymns I'd like to learn. This is not a magic number, it just happened to be what filled 1 1/2 pages of my diary. At that point, I decided that this was a large enough goal for now!
2. I purchased a display book, and have begun to get the words of songs from cyberhymnal to print out and put into it.
3. I sing as I prepare meals, wash up, etc., and quickly learn the words.
Some of the hymns I've chosen are . . .
- Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
- Blessed Assurance
- I heard the Voice of Jesus
- A Mighty Fortress
- I Need Thee Every Hour
- Tell Out, My Soul
- Great is Thy Faithfulness
Whatever your preferences are, make it a priority to praise God. This is one way we can fulfill the commandment to love God with all our hearts and minds. As we focus upon His many wonderful characteristics, it will be impossible to keep from loving Him more!