Thursday, October 9, 2008

Praising the Lord in the Morning


Before we went to South Africa, I listened to a Nancy Campbell message about what our homes should be like. As women we have a lot of power over the atmosphere and activities of our homes! God has many purposes for our homes. One of those purposes is that our homes should be places of praise and joy.

This was a challenge to me. Joy is one area where I know my home can be lacking. I generally manage to keep it relatively clean and neat, and make it a welcoming place. I used to cook meals regularly, and I even have a garden. These were all ideas that Nancy encouraged. But I'm not sure my home is a place of joy and continual praise.

While we were in South Africa, I decided that when we arrived home I would begin each day by getting up and singing to the Lord. Whether it be with a CD or from memory or with my hymn folder, I wanted to start the day this way and set the atmosphere and the focus for it. I wanted to begin creating this atmosphere for any children God gave us, because I want them to be praising people.

On the many days when I have done this it has been a wonderful way to start the day. I am reminded of God's character, of the things He has done, and of all the blessings that we have as a result. I hope that this also helps the rest of the day to be one of focus upon Him.

Here is one of my favourite hymns, which seems to sum up the journey of my life so far and of everyday life with Jesus:

I heard the voice of Jesus say come unto me and rest
Lay down thou weary one lay down, thy head upon my breast.
I came to Jesus as I was, weary and worn and sad.
I found in Him my resting place and He has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say behold I feely give,
The living water thirsty one, toop down, and drink, and live.
I came to Jesus and I drank of that life giving stream,
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, and now I live in Him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say, I am this dark world's light.
Look unto me, thy dawn shall rise, and all thy days be bright.
I came to Jesus and I found in Him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk till trav'ling days are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment