Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Breadth of the Great Commission

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen." Matthew 28:19-20.

The aim of the Great Commission category on “A Deeper Love” is to explore some of the ways we can further God’s kingdom here on earth. The Great Commission begins with evangelism: helping people to come to know their Heavenly Father for the first time. Yet it does not end there. The Great Commission is a mandate that reaches to every area of human endeavour. Christians are not simply called to make disciples. They are called to train those disciples to live in the light of all that God has commanded. In this sense the Great Commission encompasses the Great Commandment: as we teach people to be Christ’s disciples, we teach them to love God and one another.

Most Christians are involved in living out the Great Commission, even if they never personally lead someone to Christ. Parents who speak God’s word to their children are training them to obey what God has commanded. Church members who tithe to their local congregation are helping the church to fulfil its mission of training Christians and proclaiming the gospel. Preachers who exhort the church to avoid sexual immorality are teaching their congregation to do what God has commanded. The Great Commission is broad. This truth encourages me. Even though I have never had the blessing of directly leading someone to Christ, I am involved in fulfilling the Great Commission.

1 comment:

  1. We never know the "seeds" we might be planting by our words and actions. I have only had the honor of leading 1 person to know Christ as her personal Savior (A college roommate while we were at a concert in 1979!)...but...I pray that my life speaks volumes in ways that my words might not. OH! Actually I did help lead my oldest daughter to Jesus when she was 6! My youngest duaghter was at Vacation Bible School, the very first month in our new church when she accepted Christ so I wasn't there! And yes....we need to then disciple people once they do get saved! Discipleship is very much stressed in our currant church for which we are very grateful. Enjoy your Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete