Monday, June 1, 2009

Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II


During the last weeks of my pregnancy, I spent a lot of time lying tummy down in a beanbag in an attempt to get Elnathan to move into a better position. I am so grateful that my midwife recommended this (and lent me the beanbag) as he did move into a better position and I'm sure labour was easier as a result.

I had been getting little reading done previously, but this forced inactivity turned me to reading again! One of the books I read was "Evidence Not Seen". What a precious time it was as I walked with Darlene through here terrible experiences and her complete surrender of everything to God. What she went through is incomprehensible to many of us - torture, starvation, imprisonment, the loss of her much-loved husband. 

I highly recommend this book, and want Elnathan to read it someday.  In our smaller life trials, the same God who worked on Darlene's behalf helps us through. Just as she had to be willing to give up everything and continue to love and serve God, we face many daily opportunities to die to self. Like Darlene, we can find that out of the end of all our hopes God builds faith and strong relationships with others. In our weakness and pain, we too can find relationship with God as our strength and continue to serve him.

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy books about real people facing real challenges that inspire my faith. Some of these people's trials make ours seem oh so insignificant, hmmmm??? and yet...our God is SOO BIG.....everything matters to Him! These kinds of novels also keep things in perspective for me living in our modern mainly care-free world!

    ReplyDelete